CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 3, 2008

Blog 4: Climax


*What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel? (How does the climax of this novel make you feel?)

The climax of this novel happens when Guy Montag kills Captain Beatty. This is the climax because it was the point of no return. The moment Montag killed the captain, he could not return to the past for the crime he had done. The moment he killed the captain, he had made his decision of choosing freedom. Montag went back to work after all the contemplation. At one point, an alarm rang, so the firemen went to the place where the alarm was coming from, and it turned out that the place was Montag’s house. His wife had betrayed him and turned him in. Captain Beatty states all the quotes and lectures to Montag about his actions. He orders Montag to burn his own house with the flame thrower that he receives. After burning down his own house, Montag confronts with Beatty again. Beatty punches him in the face. The little green bullet in his ears that Faber gave him falls off. The captain threatens Montag that he will trace the bullet and kill Faber as well. As captain Beatty said that, Montag fired his flame thrower to Captain Beatty and that’s how the climax occurred. After the climax, a mechanical hound stabbed Montag in his leg. Afterwards, Montag continues to run away from the hound.
The climax of the novel makes me feel “Yes, that was awesome”. It also made me feel like my stress flew away. While reading the novel, I had a dislike towards Captain Beatty because of his sarcastic and complex character. He was the opposing force towards Faber and Montag, and the fact that he was gone made me feel delighted because one conflict was somewhat resolved. At the same time, it made me feel confused. After Captain Beatty’s death, it made me ask questions like “Was Captain Beatty once a professor?” because he was so knowledgeable about literature. Another question I asked myself was “As Montag thinks, did Captain Beatty really want to die? Is that why he let Montag be armed while he was under no protection?” The first feeling I had when the climax happened was gladness, but after a while, I had a feeling of confusion and wonder.

3 comments:

JK said...

I too felt relieved when Guy killed Beatty. I think Beatty wanted to die because he was a person who had knew the world was being contaminated, but was afraid to stand alone and fight against all the odds. I think Beatty is just like Faber except that Faber began to fight just like Guy.

Karine Choi said...

HEY BRYANN!!! :) :) :) :)
I really enjoyed reading your comment because I felt the same emotions as you. I was so happy and relieved when I found out what my climax was. Because you know when you feel that your stomach is turning upside down and you're nervous beacuse you dont know what's going to happen next.
But what i really found that was interesting was when you asked questions like "was captain beatty once a professor?" I had those thoughts, but i never really got deep into that question and didn't try to answer it. Now that i think about it, i think that might've been true, he might've been a professor who got his job taken away and the leader might've blackmailed him by saying "if you dont take this job then you'll be killed."
And did Beatty risk his life for Montag? These questions got me thinking alot more than just the story of the book.
It was a pleasure reading it :)

David Tu Sun Song said...

hey~!
I really liked your blog. I totally agree with the Beatty's death as climax. Because, as you said, Montag could not return to his normal life, after killing the captain. Also, I really hated Captain Beatty too - -; he is a little ******, I really wanted to rip his eyeballs and burn it with a book. Just Kidding~! ^^ still I was very happy when I read about his death since finally Montag got rid of his problem ^^. You did well and overall it is great! keep up the good work~!