CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Blog 5: Mood


*What is the mood of this novel? Do you find this novel saddens you in any way? Why?

Mood is what the readers feel as they read a certain novel. As I read Fahrenheit 451, I personally felt sad throughout the whole story. So I think the mood of this book is gloomy and tragic; and because of such mood, the novel saddened me as well.
The overall atmosphere of the novel was dark and blue. Sad and unfortunate events continuously happened, and the incessant events made me feel sad. Such disastrous events were that the Old Woman was burned, Mildred attempted suicide, Clarisse died, Mildred betrayed Guy, and more. As you see the unfortunate events, most of them are related to ‘death’. Clarisse was one of my favorite characters, and her death made me extremely depressed. I was so sorry that she no longer appeared in the novel after her death. As I read the novel, I contemplated so many other things. One thing I kept thinking was that I was worried what if the same situation occurs sooner or later in my life. The dystopian situation in Fahrenheit 451 gave me an impression that it is highly likely to happen in the future. As I worried, I felt terrified because I don’t want to live a life where I have no freedom to read books. It is so desperate that people in the novel have no rights to own or read books. Even though I don’t enjoy reading books that much, it saddened me because books are still important in our lives. Books give us so much knowledge and entertainment, and the fact that such enjoyment is not allowed in this novel saddened me. Moreover, I think I will hate a fixed life of staying home, watching TV, not interacting with my family, and living the same routine everyday. When I read the part where Mildred and Guy barely talked about their personal lives, I felt very depressed because I didn’t want that to happen to me. I strongly believe that humans, and especially humans who love each other, should communicate and understand each other to make life happier.
In summary, reading this novel made me feel down. Further, imagining a situation in the novel to our lives made me feel terrified.

2 comments:

Minkyu Cha said...

I felt same as you where I felt sad and shameful of how Ray Bradbury viewed our world 50 years from ago. Where we were viewed as people who rely on technology and not so much on books where the true knowledge comes from people. But the real sad thing was that Ray Bradbury's thought was not wrong, but is very true.
When I was reading this book, it reminded me a lot about lots of dark feelings and about death. Where Bradbury mentions lots of things about death. And when Clarrise actually died, I was really sad, and although I knew Clarrise was just a character from a book, it was amazing how Ray Bradbury could make me think of "depression" and "death" at the same time where I thought he was an awesome author.When I was reading this novel, it made me feel down, and depressed.

David Tu Sun Song said...

Yes we are almost controlled by technology. If we rely on technology, then it means that technology is controlling us like what i-robot said ^^. The mood of this novel is very depressing and dark, because of death and he fire. Also, I felt said when Mildred stopped talking to Montag 'cause, you know Montag loved her, but she rejected him and went to see TV. I am sorry my comments dont make sense lol And You did well and overall it is great! keep up the good work~!